A Travellerspoint blog

One more night in Bangkok

Temples, museum and traffic

Our schedule was packed for the day. We walked from the guesthouse to the river area to catch the ferry - Chao Phraya Express to Wat Arun. We got a bit turned around but the staff were helpful enough to direct us to the regular ferry, not the private hire boats. The ride was busy with commuters in suits, students and tourists. We rode it until we could see the temple then took another ferry to get across to Wat Arun.


We arrived just after nine so it wasn't packed but busy enough with a few tours. The temple (wat) was under renovations and only part of it could be seen. We could still climb to the third level up the ultra steep stairs to enjoy the view. A lot of the ceramic pieces were being re-glued or changed on the surrounding chedis.


We wandered the surrounding temple too, our quick pace inspired by hunger. Some temples were long rectangular halls with demon and monkey statues standing guard. That area was pretty quiet.


After the ferry ride, we split a mango and had a bag of deep fried banana each for our late breakfast. We'd need the energy for crazy Grand Palace.
Group tours overtook most of the space in the entrance area. We were yelled at over the loud speaker to put on 'more appropriate' clothing before we could even get into our bags to reach the sarongs. We took a minute to breathe before tackling the lines for the entrance and the inflated admission price.


Once inside, we moved to see golden stupas, mirrored temple buildings, and then the demon monkeys supporting another stupa. There were gold demon statues separate with thin or big bushy tails. The crowds to see the Emerald Buddha were fierce. We did another lap before trying to beat the crowds by going through the back. Again actions were quite controlled. Guards told us to sit, and took away cameras from those who chose to ignore the signs. Somehow the whole atmosphere stood out more than the experience of actually seeing the small Emerald Buddha. It was too busy and crowded to have some profound moving moment.


We visited the other temples from the outside and then the different groups of palaces. Some had museums for weapons, international and local alike. I didn't recall them being open on my visit a few years prior. We saw two more temple groups, some with religious relics. People would also stand by the guards and take pictures with the poor men under orders not to move. We visited one more museum with information on the restoration before we took off.


The walk to food was a bit long and distracted. We found an art museum on the way with sculptures and models by a famous European sculptures, many of which were featured around the country. Then we found the National Museum but chose hunger instead. We headed for nearby Khao San road to get Pad Thai at a Spanish-owned restaurant since there were surprisingly few food stalls around the area.


We were also able to find the knock-off Lonely Planet vendors there as well. A Nepali woman from Myanmar was very friendly and told us lots of Canadians bought the Myanmar guide. I'd found a PDF version for the tablet already, but we got one for the Philippines since we were a little more hesitant to whip out a tablet in the streets there to find our way around.

National Museum was pretty large with many exhibits closed. The first section was an ambitious and well forged account of Thai history. Different groups and religions moved through the country, Buddhism being the one that stayed. There was so much to absorb, battles for territories with the Burmese kingdom, British, French in Indo-China, Khmer empire many centuries ago. We had to respect that the Thais had a longstanding kingdom and culture that managed to overcome a lot of adversaries and hold its own.


There was a temple, red house and other religious sculptures from various cultures around Thailand too like India, Laos and Myanmar during earlier periods. There were some Thai carvings from the Dharavati period too.

We took off, worried about meeting two of my friends and former co-workers on time. After plenty of cabs turned us down because of the distance and bad traffic around Lad Prao, we tried asking for a trip to the BTS instead which was successful, but we were stuck in traffic for quite awhile before reaching the sky train. Luckily, that flew over the traffic jams. At Mo Chit BTS, we grabbed another cab and we were grid locked again. The drivers hadn't been lying about the traffic.

Once we made it to Imperial Mall, a phone call helped us find the rock climbing wall where they were. It was an artificial wall run by a European man and his Thai wife. They also had a really cute little girl who'd been born prematurely. It was only 50 baht per climb with equipment rental.

My friends came here often and knew the owner quite well. They'd learned to belay as well and were challenging themselves by taking different routes marked by coloured tape. They'd climbed a few spots in and out of Thailand and their goal was to get to Chiang Mai later. My fear of heights kicked in on the first wall and they tried to bribe me up it with some chocolate on Ryan's advice. We both did a couple walls before we got too tired.

From the sounds of it, they really enjoyed worked out at the other campus. One was really improving her Thai to the point that she could use tones. It sounded like they were settling in quite nicely to their area of the city.

We had supper at the nearby cafeteria. I found a veggie fried rice. Other veg-friendly options were the omelette and a tasty Som Tam salad. In the supermarket, we wandered and found some pomelo on sale. Ryan and I had become fans since we left China so we picked on up.

We said our goodbyes and took a cab back via the MRT route (though the cabbies had a hard time understanding what the MRT was so we used the name of the station and some gestures for 'underground' to convey our message). Our walk back from the MRT passed through sidewalks turned into night markets where moving was a luxury. We got a little lost, but luckily the gates were still open when we got back to the guesthouse for our final sleep in Thailand.

Posted by Sarah.M 16:49 Archived in Thailand Tagged thailand bangkok rock climb grand_palace national_museum Comments (0)

Parks, boats and Lebanese food

Just another day in Bangkok

We relaxed in the room, did some research and used the decent wifi. It seemed the dodgier the accommodation, the better the wifi. We took the BTS to Sala Dang stop then had a tasty lunch at Beirut, my favourite Lebanese restaurant. We had hummus, fattoush salad and a chicken shwarma. The service could have been better considering the waiters were standing around and our food came before the appetizer platter (with veggies, pickles, the tastiest garlic dip, hummus and tahini sauces) and cutlery.


Next we went to Lumphini park, another favourite Bangkok urban park of mine. There was a big statue at the entrance, lake/ponds, walking paths and exercise machines. We relaxed in the shade since Ryan wasn't feeling a hundred percent. When he was up to it, we rented one of the swan paddleboats for only 40 baht ($1.30) for the half hour.


From the water we saw dozens of reptiles on the pond banks, turtles and monitor lizards ranging from small to the size of a small/medium alligator. The way the lizards walked was interesting to watch. Their legs made big circular steps almost as if their limbs were doing front crawl.


We managed to squeeze the boat under two pedestrian bridges and made the circuit in about 25 minutes, giving us enough time to get our deposit back. It was a fun little excursion and Ryan was excited to be in control of another vehicle, even though this one was quite slow.


We lazed around on a dry patch of grass, harder than you'd think since the sprinklers were going full force. With his new sketchbook he drew a nice palm tree. Lizards came by to visit us often too, not at all scared of people.


We explore the park to find the Chinese friendship pavilion and to try out the sweet exercise machines that were far more functional that those in Ubon Ratchatani. The park clientele shifted from foreign tourists and families to locals and expats out for a run or work out. We were envious that they could do this outdoors for much of the year, different than Canada. My favourite machine was the surf one where core muscles worked as I swung from side to side on a small stand attached to a higher point.


The red light district, Pad Pong, was nearby. Ryan was a bit hesitant to visit, but in the late afternoon they were just beginning to set up a market with generally knock-off brand name goods like watches and perfume. Some of the signs they have for the strip clubs had interesting names that got us laughing, though the whole district leaves a bad and shady feeling afterward.

We had to walk a bit to find food that was affordable. We found a bustling restaurant area with oodles of foreigners and very busy and hardworking staff. Our 'large' pad thai that we thought would be enough to share was on the smaller side. Ryan picked up a pancake and I was still full from the lion's share of the Lebanese lunch.

  • **

Second update today. Trying to catch up with all the photos we uploaded here.

Posted by Sarah.M 22:23 Archived in Thailand Tagged bangkok swan lumphini_park paddle_boats beirut_lebanese Comments (0)

Buses and Lost Cash in Bangkok

At 7:30, we checked out and headed for the bus stop to find out that buses left every hour on the half hour so we'd just missed one. I ran to get us some 7-11 breakfast pastries and a ham and cheese that I later found out Ryan was slowly growing sick of. It was good we were there early as the van was quite full. We sat in the front row to make sure our bags didn't take up seats this time. Another French backpacker joined our row soon after.

The journey was standard with one bus station stop between us and the destination. In Ubon, we headed to the only bus there en route to Bangkok and snagged spacious front row tickets. They played Hollywood movies in Thai during the drive: Transformers 1 and 3, Escape Plan then a Thai comedy game show where the contestants would be attacked by water, whipped cream or projectiles while trying to complete tasks like describing an object for the other to guess it or Pictionary where the other team got to modify the original drawing. They also wore ridiculous and colourful costumes during the skits.


We didn't get a lunch break, but I bought some BBQ eggs with seasoning at one of the bus stops. Supper was at a stop where I got shuffled around the food line due to communication issues. All I wanted was plain rice and a fried egg, both at different stalls apparently. We also bought some pretty awful mango. When we went outside, our bus was missing, but some people confirmed they were also on the Ubon to Bangkok bus. The buses seemed to be driving off to get a bus-wash nearby and sure enough ours came back.

Around Khao Yai area, it was nine thirty at night so I called the guesthouse we'd booked just to confirm we could check in at such a late hour. The guy had no issues with it and gave us directions. Traffic continued to be quite slow.

We arrived in Bangkok around 11 pm, and lined up with the Thais for a meter taxi (not one of the ones where the English speaking drivers approach you) to Sarawak road until we got near the address number. We got a little lost on foot after but a security guard walked us to the guesthouse and we were able to check in.

Once we arrived in our room, we counted our money and realized that we were short 1000 baht. As we recalled, Ryan had went to pay with 2000 baht. The receptionist asked for change and kept one of the thousands, then when we gave him the change amount we also included the other thousand. Ryan went down to talk to him about it and he double checked the books and denied that it had happened.

We did tallied up our expenses again, thinking we'd made the mistake, but down to every last piece of fruit we bought and a few hundred baht flex room in case we forgot something, we couldn't account for the missing thousand since our last bank withdrawal. It was too bad really, for an extra 1000 baht ($33), we could have gotten a much nicer room that didn't have filthy shared bathrooms. I was starting to see how people could not enjoy their time in the city I had enjoyed calling home two years ago.

  • **

Happy Easter, little by little we'll catch up with this blog. If you want to get updates by e-mail when we post a new part (since we're pretty inconsistent) just subscribe.

Posted by Sarah.M 21:54 Archived in Thailand Tagged taxi bus bangkok hostel transfer Comments (0)

No water in these falls

Pha Taem National Park

We were up early again to cover greater distances in the national park today. We'd even used our fridge to store breakfast to save time on what had become our ritual 7-11 breakfast.


We drove nearly 70 kilometres to Pha Chana Dai. We got a bit lost along the way at one of the turns. After a bit of a wait to see if cars would come to indicate the path, we managed to get back into a town and asked for directions. A kind Thai man got on his motorbike so we could follow him to the right intersection and wished us 'Chok Dee' (good luck).


It was nice to have no entrance fee at this section of the park, but not as great when the sign in the parking lot read that we were 8-14 km from any of the big attractions with only roads most unsuitable for scooters and 2WD cars.

We attempted the 2km walk to the smaller waterfalls. The landscape was desert-like and the path was only driveable for the large 4WD trucks that kept passing us in the opposite direction. We imagined the Australian outback would be similar to this.

The up, downs and heat on the walk wore us down. It didn't help that by the time we reached the waterfall, it was dry, not even a stream in sight. There was a lovely sign to show us where it should have been.


I got my opportunity to try out our scooter in the empty parking lot. It was easier once I got up to speed and it could balance. The turns were the trickiest bit. Ryan hopped on the back and I attempted the roads out which were great until I tried to pull off the road for a photo. The rocky section was a challenge and I nearly knocked the bike over trying to park it. It was Ryan's turn to drive again after that.

Next, we drove to Thung Na Mueang waterfall, also falling victim to dry season but at least with a bit of a stream. A giant climber, a large tree with knotted roots, was the most impressive part of that visit.


On the way back. we stopped at the big Buddha statue, visible from afar, which turned out to be a temple under construction and pretty vacant in terms of people. Not even a monk was on site. It would be beautiful when complete though.


We went back to town early and rested away the afternoon until the bike needed to be fueled up and returned. I went down to the river to take photos and Ryan joined me after, but not before he was solicited for a photo with a Thai family. It must have been the new haircut or the curls, but they were really excited.


We walked to the animal island to explore the rocks and climb to the viewpoints for some sunset photos. It was nice to relax and take the time to enjoy the sunset for once.


We tried one restaurant that told us they had no vegetarian options before going back to the steakhouse. We shared mushroom spring rolls and I had 'fried rice no animal' while Ryan had a pork steak. It was good especially since we had skipped lunch.

Posted by Sarah.M 14:36 Archived in Thailand Tagged waterfalls thailand roots motorbike scooter dry_season pha_taem_national_park Comments (0)

Pha Taem National Park

Waterfalls and rock art

Traffic was pretty light this morning around eight. Filling the bike us with fuel cost us a whopping 60 baht ($2) so we could understand the appeal of driving these vehicles. We followed the main road/highway that we'd come in on until the 2112, and took that until the National Park entrance. Admission was 100 baht each for the day.

Sao Chaliang came up first which were giant rock pillars that had eroded to look like mushrooms. It was almost like being back in the badlands with the desert-like vegetation and impressive coloured rocks.


A bit of a walk up was a rock plateau with a significant crack/gap. It would have been quite the drop if we got caught in there. A viewpoint showed off the plains of the park and the visitor's centre. We went back down to see the mushroom rocks a bit closer once the crowds had dissipated a bit.


The visitor's centre, with an extremely rocky parking lot, was at the end of the road. We jumped off the bike to figure out which way to go to reach the walks to the historic rock art. The route to the cave paintings was not really clearly marked, but after following the crowds we got on the right track.


The path led us to impressive cliffs even without the cave paintings. They were quite tall and stood by the nearby Mekong river. Opposite the water was Laos, so we'd come pretty far East. After a bit of walking, we discovered our first cave paintings which depicted people and animals. The people had triangular heads and almost reminded us of aliens. The animals ranged from a whale to turtles and fish. The paintings were red in colour and according to the signs were 3,000 to 4,000 years old. There were some paintings of hands as well.


The next cliff had criss-crossed line paintings under one of the ledges which was a bamboo fish trap called 'blister'. The paintings were done at a significant height when the water levels must have been higher. They were part of the death rituals although there wasn't much further information to indicate why or how.


Our walk back took us along the riverside where they'd filmed part of the movie Alexander from the cliff tops. We stopped off at the restaurant across from the visitor's centre for lunch and had some fried rice that was alright.


Ryan navigated the tricky parking lot exit on the bike. The drive to Soi Sawan waterfall was thankfully smoother, 20 kilometres or so which took longer on a slower scooter. It was nice to have the wind against us to cool off.


There was a small walk to the falls. The trek down was not so bad but heading back up would be a challenge. There was a small thin stream running from the top of a rocky peak. Holes had been eroded in the rock floor at the bottom and were filled with water. Kids had fun splashing in the puddles. It was dry season but some water trickled down the falls.


To the side of one of the falls was a giant rock valley. From the smoothness of the rocks it, was pretty clear these would be another falls during wet season. We climbed around on the rocks to get some fun photos. The valley was so large we felt like ants.


There was a mini falls closer to the higher one where a river drained out the water. People were rock jumping and swimming. It would have been fun to have a bathing suit.

After the walk to the top, we decided to check out the wildflower fields. A hot, sunny walk revealed that they were sparse at best. We turned around a few kilometres in only to find that the cliffs we sought were in that direction too. We didn't have the energy to retrace those steps so we hopped back on the bike.


Next was Saeng Chan waterfall, another half hour or so away. It was easy enough to walk there from the parking lot, just a short flight of stairs. A decent amount of water ran from the stream up top. There was a small calm pool surrounded by vegetation at the bottom of the falls. Aside from the occasional shout or scream, it was quite serene. As we got closer, we could see the crescent or heart shaped hole formed by the erosion of the falls.


We went up to the falls, then behind them to climb up the cave area steps to the stream which fed the top of the falls. It was neat to see the hole and the drop but signs warned us not to get too close. Ryan joked one of us should jump to the bottom and meet the other there.


We drove back after one more visit to the bottom of the falls. Since we were fighting the clock and still needed gas, our pace was quicker than before. There was a gas station just before the main road and it only cost us 65 baht ($2.15) to fill up the tank. The hour plus drive began after that. Except for us trying to return the bike for 5:20, Ryan was really enjoyed the drive. I was just trying to sit without my legs going numb or tipping the thing over.


The bike made it back with fifteen minutes to spare. We rented it for another day then rode off to Two Colour River just down the street. This was where the Mekong and Moon rivers colours were meant to converge. The light from the setting sun obscured the colour a bit, but the sunset was beautiful too. Some visiting Thai travellers showed us Laos on the other side and asked us how our trip was going.


We had supper at a restaurant on the river and ordered a big fried rice, mixed veggie dish and Ryan had some fried chicken. It hit the spot and we enjoyed the bright gazebo decorations.


Posted by Sarah.M 19:41 Archived in Thailand Tagged art park colour thailand river waterfall national rock chan sao two pha taem chaliang saeng Comments (0)

(Entries 31 - 35 of 647) Previous « Page .. 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 .. » Next